26 Jun CREST NICHOLSON – Catteshall Lane, Godalming
Matthews (Sussex) Limited were contracted by Crest Nicholson to undertake the demolition and site clearance of this 5 acre site. Acting as principal contractor, Matthews experienced team had to soft strip the thirteen industrial and office buildings. Removing a large quantity of asbestos containing materials including taking hundreds of square metres of asbestos cement roof sheets. The buildings were then demolished sequentially allowing for maximum recycling from the site and helping towards the required BREEAM excellent rating.
With six demolition specific excavators undertaking the works the original programme of fourteen weeks was comfortably achieved, and additional elements were added to the contract to advance the build programme, these included tbs water supply, the installation of a large piling mat and the diversion of the pond water overflow pipe on site.
The live ambulance station was to remain live throughout our works and beyond. Hand separation was required to allow this not to be disrupted and then weather proofing to the exposed wall was fitted. The site was located in a busy residential area so consideration had to be given to noisy elements of the works and reducing disruption to a minimum.
Scope of Works
- Assume the role of Principle Contractor
- Establish adequate site welfare facilities
- Carry out pre-condition survey
- Internal Soft Strip
- Asbestos Removal
- Air quality monitoring
- Hazardous waste removal
- Demolish superstructure
- Demolish and remove substructure
- Bulk excavation and muck away of surplus materials
- Construction of piling mats
- Remediate and remove soils contaminated with asbestos / hydro carbons and heavy metals
- Leave site in a clean, tidy and safe condition on completion